Tuesday, December 1

The Best Thing That Happened to Me This Year

It has to be discovering the SG Assist online platform. What a fabulous idea! 

I am already a SG Cares volunteer since 2010 and in many ways the two platforms are similar. But what spurred me to register for SG Assist was the fact that help can be rendered to others in the vicinity in real time

It was around the time that Dorscon Orange was announced when I chanced upon it on Facebook. During that time, returning residents were put on Stay Home Notice and close contacts identified via contact tracing were put on Leave of Absence. My own brother was under LOA for a period of time and honestly I did not think too much about it then. 

However, not everyone has the fortune of staying with someone else to keep the household running while one is unable to even step out of the house. There are people who have neither family nor friends nearby  to assist them in their daily needs such as food or grocery. The beauty of SG Assist is that you can easily connect to someone who can help you do just that! 远亲不如近邻啊!

Naturally I was concerned about the risks of getting infected but I am sort of young-ish and pretty healthy and I believe that things happen for a reason so if I do get infected even with all the precautions taken then so be it! I just cannot not do something when I am fully able to do it. Moreover, being a relatively new resident of Bukit Panjang, I thought this might be a good way to familiarise myself with this estate.

Although there could be multiple new assist requests in a day, I actually never got to help anyone on SHN or LOA. In fact, requests were accepted by other volunteers so quickly that I was often greeted with an empty request list instead! Good to know that Singapore is not short of helpers. 😃

Health vector created by pikisuperstar - www.freepik.com

It was only in July when I responded to my first SG Assist request and had since helped the same Senior Activity Centre with similar requests to accompany elderly to their medical appointments. So I would turn up at the nearby centre to meet the elderly, take the taxi with him to the hospital, navigate our way to the right clinic for registration, wait with him in the holding area and hail a taxi to return to the centre with him. 

Usually, the type of volunteer roles I take up involve either sports or children and I tend to avoid elderly because I barely speak Hokkien and I generally feel awkward around them. But I am so thankful for this precious opportunity to slow down and spend time with each of the pioneers I met. Not only did I get to hear incredible stories (one had a long career in the army), I learn that aging is not necessarily something to fear.

It may appear that the elderly were dependent on me during these trips but I truly think that I was the one who gained the most out of our interactions. As with every volunteer activity, it always ends with me in a state of joy and having a new appreciation for being alive. The sense of admiration from the taxi uncles and nurses who realised I have no relation to the elderly is a super morale booster too!

So the best thing that happened to me the year I turned 40 was signing myself up for SG Assist which led me to these kindly old souls who taught me that growing old is okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment