It has been more than 2 weeks since I watched the incredible Aaron Kwok live in Malaysia. After the devastating outcome of not being able to see him last year despite braving Typhoon Wipha in Macau, this second chance should have been twice as sweet. Yet, in these 2 weeks when I do recall that special day of being almost within his arm’s reach, the main emotion that kept coming up was regret.
Let’s be clear: my motto in life is never to regret anything. Any unfortunate event that came to pass in my life shall be viewed as a lesson but I do not allow myself to wallow in that negativity called regret. Eso si que es. Period.
BUT. I had the golden opportunity to challenge my idol, my first love, to Baby Shark. That once-in-a-million chance to chat with him and tell him in person how much I adore him. And demonstrate the effort I put in in the past months to practise this dance. To receive a hand-signed limited edition tee from his hands!!! I let all of that pass because I was shy?!?!?!?! This is so hard to let go.
Even in the immediate high that very night, all I could think about was our could-have-been-conversation:
Him in Cantonese: Do you speak Mandarin or Cantonese?
Me: (in Mandarin) Mandarin better but (in Cantonese) I like you very much!
Him in Mandarin: So you have supported me for many years?
Me in Mandarin: Since I am 10 years old! I am here with the Singapore Fan Club. My friends and I are all long time fans!!!
And I would express my admiration for him, for his dancing, how he inspired me to pick up dancing, that I am similarly doing chinese calligraphy, how impressive his long list of achievements is to me, especially his undeniable work ethic!
All. The. Things. I. Could. Have. Said.
This is a real regret.
Well, the regret has thankfully dwindled to a smaller lump now. And the lesson I learnt is that shyness and embarrassment are never reasons to back down from something you truly want. Never. Never again. Not sure if I would ever had a similar chance to be in that perfect position to do the Baby Shark Challenge with him ever again. If there is a next time, for any similar situation, I would not hesitantly half-raise my hand anymore. I shall stand right up on the chair and put myself out there!!
That said, 12th Sept 2026 was definitely the best day of my long vacation this year. He was the why this vacation came to be anyway. From the endless phototaking with fellow fans and his standees before the concert to the supper we had after the concert which included an impromptu KTV session of his song, it was all irreplaceable.
Now, where can I catch him next?
No comments:
Post a Comment